New Hampshire Midwives Association

Consumer Information from the State of New Hampshire Insurance Department

The State of New Hampshire Insurance Department
56 Old Suncook Road
Concord, NH 03301-5151
Roger A. Sevigny, Commissioner

Please take a few moments to read the following information, We hope this will help you understand how the New Hampshire Insurance Department can assist with consumer complaints.


We forward each complaint to a representative of the company for review. Complaints received by the department are generally forwarded to the company within 3 business days of receipt.

By law, companies must respond to consumer complaints. Companies may take up to 4 or 5 weeks to respond to a complaint. However, we receive responses to most complaints within 20 days.

We act as intermediary to help resolve problems between consumers and department licensees. We attempt to assist with reconciliation, resolution or compromise of disputes. However, neither consumers nor department licensees are required to accept any attempted resolution arrived at through our efforts to mediate the dispute.


We cannot order refunds, cancellation of contracts, damage awards, or other legal remedies because we do not have that authority under New Hampshire law, If you are seeking this type of relief, you may wish to consult with an attorney.

  • We cannot overturn or overrule a court order,
  • We cannot intervene in a dispute if you are represented by legal counsel
  • We cannot give legal advice or act as your attorney. We do not interpret the terms of contracts, or other legal documents.
  • We cannot require a company to comply with a requested remedy if New Hampshire law does not give the Department specific authority to do so.
  • We cannot promise that the specific remedy you request will be available.


The issues in your complaint may come within the jurisdiction of another agency of New Hampshire state government, or of an agency of federal government, or agency of another state. If your complaint is governed by the law or rules of another government entity, we will forward your complaint to the appropriate agency, and inform you of the referral by letter .

You may be advised to contact an attorney or small claims or other court. You may qualify for free or reduced fee legal services if your income does not exceed the legal service provider's limits. legal services may be available without cost or at reduced rates, depending on your income, at the New Hampshire Bar Association Pro Bono referral service, New Hampshire legal Assistance, the Franklin Pierce law Center Civil Practice Clinic, the Disabilities Rights Center or other legal service providers. Telephone numbers for these providers may be found in your telephone directory or by calling directory assistance.

Telephone 603-271-2261 * Fax 603-2171-1406 * TDD Access Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 *

Scanned from faxed document.